University of Mannheim is one of Germany’s most prestigious universities and is
internationally renowned for excellence in the fields of Economics
and Social Science. The university is comfortably sized with approximately 12,000
students. There is a great range of study options as well as the possibility to
establish close contacts with the lectures and other students. Most of the
beautiful university campus is located in a baroque palace build in the seventeenth
century. It is said to be one of the oldest and most beautiful campuses in
Germany. Nevertheless, the lecture halls and libraries are modernized and of a
very high quality and provide a professional working environment.
Students studying with us benefit from our close collaborations with renowned
Furthermore, the School has a long tradition of academic excellence in quantitative research. Students learn under the expert guidance of leading academics and develop research skills already during their undergraduate studies. Small course sizes enable students to directly interact with their lectures and build strong connections with other students throughout their time at the University. This makes a stay at the University of Mannheim an unforgettable intercultural and intellectual experience.
2. Rankings and Cooperation
The School of Social Science has a long
tradition of academic excellence in analytical and quantitative research. Many
national as well as international rankings confirm this. The CHE Ranking, Germany’s most detailed and prominent
university ranking, gave top grades for the departments of political science,
sociology and psychology. The excellent study and teaching conditions, the
supervision as well as the professional relevance of the different degrees were
emphasized in all of the three departments.
In 2012, the areas of Political Science, Sociology and “Social Science and
Management” were ranked among the Top 100 worldwide in the QS
World University Ranking. Furthermore, the Department of Political
Science was ranked 13th within Europe. The „Graduate School of Economic and Social
Sciences“ (GESS), which is sponsored by the German federal "Excellence Initiative",
underlines the outstanding reputation of the Departments Political
Science, Psychology and Sociology in the
areas of research, higher education and infrastructure. This makes the School of Social Sciences one of the
leading research and teaching institutions in Germany.
Furthermore, the School is collaborating closely with renowned research institutions such as the Mannheim Centre for European Social Research (MZES), the Centre for European Economic Research (ZEW), the Leibniz-Institute of Social Science (GESIS), the Otto-Selz-Institute (OSI) and the Mannheim Centre for Mental Health (ZI). This creates an excellent academic environment for the students.
3. The City of Mannheim
Every year about 560 exchange students from our partner universities take the opportunity to spend one or two semesters at the University of Mannheim. There are many reasons for their decision to come to Mannheim:
- Success Because of a Distinct Profile
- Special Offers for International Exchange Students
- Buddy-Programme and Personal Support
- Beautiful and Centrally Located Campus
- Various Leisure Activities
trademark of the University of Mannheim is its distinct profile. This
profile is characterized by renowned programmes in Business
Administration, Economics, and Social Sciences that are closely
intertwined with the Humanities, Law, Mathematics, and Informatics. The
University of Mannheim is recognized as one of the leading academic
institutions in Germany and Europe and has received numerous rankings and awards for its quality of research and academics.
- International Academic Calendar: The University of Mannheim is the only German University to have adopted an international, more common academic calendar: the fall semester starts in September and ends in December (with all examinations finished by Christmas), whereas the spring semester starts in February and ends in June (including spring-break). This makes life much easier for exchange students in comparison to other German universities.
- The University of Mannheim currently maintains approximately 300 partnerships with universities all over the world, more than 200 of them in Europe.
- Preparatory Intensive Language Course "Winter/Summer Academy"
For an easier start, the University's four-week International Summer or Winter Academy for German Language and Culture provides international exchange students with or without previous knowledge of German the opportunity to learn the language before the semester starts. There are cultural programmes including concerts, excursions and sports that accompany the language classes.
- Language Courses during the semester
The International Office offers special courses for exchange students throughout the semester, e.g. language and cultural courses. Some of the cultural courses are also taught in English.
- Numerous Courses taught in English
- All Schools of the University of Mannheim offer numerous lectures and seminars conducted in English. Thus, in most schools it is even possible for exchange students to obtain the complete number of credit points required for their home university from classes offered in English. For further information on the English Course Catalogue please click here.
- The Buddy Programme is organised by the student organization VISUM and pairs an exchange student who registers for the buddy service (online application) with a German student. The German Buddy will help foreign students to adjust to German life, the university, and anything else. He or she can answer questions, help with problems, may offer a pick-up service from the train station, or accompany the exchange student to various special VISUM Buddy Events throughout the semester - a lot of fun included!
The University of Mannheim is considered one of the most beautiful universities in Germany. The university is mainly located in Mannheim's palace - the largest baroque palace in Germany and the second-largest in the world. Through the project "Renaissance of the Baroque Palace," many lecture halls and libraries have been redecorated and provided with modern technical equipment. The University of Mannheim's campus is very centrally located and the city centre is within walking distance.
Thanks to its central location and extensive transportation system, the city of Mannheim is a perfect starting point to explore Germany and the rest of Europe. Heidelberg castle is just a 15-minute train ride away and the Black Forest can be reached within 90 minutes by train. Other popular destinations for weekend trips are the Swiss Alps, Austria, and the Alsace wine region in France. Frankfurt International Airport is just a 30-minute train ride away.
The University of Mannheim offers various leisure activities - the sport teams are some of the most successful teams in Germany.
Photos: Stadt Mannheim, Stadtmarketing Mannheim GmbH, Lars Kehrel, Wilhelm Mierendorf, Stefanie Eichler